Regardless of whether you are a resident or a cross-border commuter, you can receive government study grants for your children’s college education. What are the funding conditions? How and when to apply?
The Luxembourg State grants various grants to students, whether they are Luxembourg nationals, foreigners or children of cross-border workers. These aids can be study grants, mobility grants, student loans, partial reimbursement of enrollment fees, etc. What are the conditions for granting, what are the amounts and how to get this aid?
Who can get study grant (AideFi)?
Anyone registered as Full-time or part-time student in a cycle of studieshigher education :
- It must be one graduate cycle (1ah cycle 2th cycle, research training cycle)
- The study cycle must a diploma, title or degree higher education
- The study cycle must be part of the higher education system of the country in which the title is awarded.
What are the requirements for residents?
The beneficiary residing in Luxembourg got to :
- be Luxembourg national or a family member of a Luxembourg national residing in Luxembourg; Where
- be Citizen of another Member State of the European Union (EU) or one of the other contracting states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) or the Swiss Confederation and:
- as employees (including self-employed and pensioners) residing in Luxembourg or being a family member of one of the above persons; Where
- have acquired the right of permanent residence; Where
- have the political refugee status in Luxemburg; Where
- be third-country national or stateless, and:
- to have lived actually in Luxembourg ever since less than 5 years old (or before filing the 1D Inquiry) ; and
- Be the holder of a Luxembourg secondary school leaving certificate or diploma or a certificate recognized as equivalent to the Luxembourg diploma.
Note: A student living in Luxembourg as part of his studies and earning less than the social minimum wage is considered a non-resident.
NB Recognized internships do not entitle you to an AIdeFi.
What are the requirements for non-residents?
The beneficiary nonresident got to :
- be worker (including self-employed persons), a Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation, is employed or carries out his activities in Luxembourg at the time of applying for AideFi for higher education; Where
- be the recipient of a Luxembourg orphan’s pension, a Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation; Where
- be a worker kida Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation, contribute to the upkeep of the student and is employed or carries out his activities in Luxembourg at the time of the student’s request for AideFi for higher studies, and with the proviso that the :
- the parent was connected with the Joint Social Security Center (CCSS) for a cumulative period of at least 5 years over a reference period of 10 yearsbefore the request; Where
- the parent was connected to CCSS for a cumulative period of at least 10 years at the time of application ; Where
- the student is at least enrolled 5 years of cumulative studies :
- in a public or private institution in Luxembourg offering basic, secondary or initial vocational training; Where
- at the “German-Luxembourg Schengen Lyceum Perl”; Where
- in a study program offered by the University of Luxembourg leading to a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree or a specialist diploma in medicine; Where
- in a course leading to the higher technical certificate and accredited by the Minister; Where
- in an accredited course offered by a foreign higher education institution based in Luxembourg and accredited by the Minister; Where
- the student has legally resident in Luxembourg for a cumulative period of at least 5 years at the time of the request.
- the periods during which the person worked for a European or international body based in Luxembourg and/or received a pension, annuity or unemployment benefit from the State are counted towards the minimum period required;
- Also insured is a child who belongs to a household in which the spouse or life partner of one of the parents meets the above requirements;
- the student staying in Luxembourg mainly for the purpose of his studies and whose total annual income does not exceed the social minimum wage for unskilled workers will be treated as a non-resident student;
- Approved internships are not paid work, but essentially training work and do not entitle you to AideFi.
What are the first steps non-residents need to take?
For the foreign studentsAideFi is a substitute assistance. These students must have taken all the necessary steps to receive financial aid for their studies in their country of residence before submitting their application.
attention : the student must respect the deadlines Introduction of the application in his Country of residence.
The official answer, positive or negative, for the current academic year must be attached or submitted later to the AideFi application in Luxembourg. Certificates with administrative reasons for refusal will not be accepted. The certificates must relate to the relevant academic year and be renewed annually.
In the absence of an official response from the competent authorities of the applicant’s country of residence, AideFi cannot be granted.
Competent authorities for neighboring countries:
- Germany :
- Belgium :
- France :
- Regional Council (for health and social education).
That time limit are at absolutely respect.
Any request sent outside of the established time limits is Refused.
A help request should be introduced for each semester even if the student is enrolled annually.
The application is to be made:
- for the 30.11 for the winter semester: The application form is available from January 1stah business day of the month of August;
- for the April, 30th for the summer semester: The application form is available from April 1stah business day of the month of January.
What is the amount of AideFi?
The AideFi consists of:
- from different cumulative grants ;
- an interest-bearing student loan.
Understand the different exchanges
The scholarship categories are as follows:
- basic scholarship :
- given to all eligible students;
- the amount is fixed 1,050 euros per semester;
- mobility grant :
- accessible to eligible students:
- registered in a program higher education outside the national borders of the country of residence the household to which he belongs;
- who can prove that they will bear the rental costs;
- the amount is fixed 1,286 euros per semester;
- accessible to eligible students:
- Subsidy based on social criteria :
- is granted to eligible students whose total taxable income of the household to which they belong is less than or equal to 4.5 times the gross amount of the social minimum wage for unskilled workers (SSM);
- she amounts per semester of this scholarship tiered as follows :
- Income less than 1 times SSM: 1,995 euros;
- Income between 1 and 1.5 times the SSM: 1,682 euros;
- Income between 1.5 and 2 times the SSM: 1,391 euros;
- Income between 2 and 2.5 times the SSM: 1,128 euros;
- Income between 2.5 and 3 times the SSM: 866 euros;
- Income between 3 and 3.5 times the SSM: 603 euros;
- Income between 3.5 and 4.5 times the SSM: 288 euros;
- if the Student loan applied forthe difference between the maximum amount of 1,995 euros and the amount awarded as a grant is automatically deducted from the amount of the student loan;
- if the student loan has been requested and the applicant does not apply for the grant due to social criteria, the latter are automatically added to the amount of the student loan;
- family scholarship :
- accessible if one or more children from the same household are simultaneously completing an AideFi-eligible higher education;
- is granted in one installment in the summer semester. The amount per semester is fixed at 262 euros per student. Note that the Students who do not apply for the summer semester can request a reassessment of the winter semester by email to the case manager.
A Increase of 1,000 euros (500 euros grant and 500 euros loan) can be allocated to the student who is in a serious and extraordinary situationand who is facing Exceptional costs. This increase is granted by the Minister following a reasoned opinion.
The different scholarship categories are cumulative.
A calculation simulator is also available.
How do I request an AideFi?
The process takes place online via MyGuichet.lu and is accessible to everyone.
The online process can be done with or without a LuxTrust product (smart card, token, signing stick) or electronic identity card (eID).
The student can add attachments to ongoing procedures quickly and easily directly from your smartphone or tablet. Here is the application form for grants on Guichet.lu
Students can be reimbursed part of the enrollment fees and granted a loan. By filling out the form, the various tools will be offered.